Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Don't Fear the Reaper (Netherworld #1) by Michelle Muto




Don't Fear the Reaper (Netherworld #1)
by Michelle Muto
Book 1 of the Netherworld series
Published September 23rd 2011 by Dreamscapes, Ink

Grief-stricken by the murder of her twin, Keely Morrison is convinced suicide is her ticket to eternal peace and a chance to reunite with her sister. When Keely succeeds in taking her own life, she discovers death isn’t at all what she expected. Instead, she’s trapped in a netherworld on Earth and her only hope for reconnecting with her sister and navigating the afterlife is a bounty-hunting reaper and a sardonic, possibly unscrupulous, demon. But when the demon offers Keely her greatest temptation—revenge on her sister’s murderer—she must uncover his motives and determine who she can trust. Because, as Keely soon learns, both reaper and demon are keeping secrets and she fears the worst is true—that her every decision will change how, and with whom, she spends eternity.




I've never had an author give me Quotes and Snippets from their novel. I thought this was so cool! Reading them gives you a sense of what the book is about! LOVE IT! 


QUOTES & SNIPPETS FROM DON'T FEAR THE REAPER


Sometimes it isn’t the cruelty in people’s stares that hurts.

“It’s not fair,” I said. “Death is when we need each other the most.”

Banning smiled that forlorn smile of his. “No, life is. We just don’t see its worth then.”


Here I was—seventeen, dead, and thoroughly nostalgic.


I stared out the window once more, hoping that whoever George Manero was, he’d be luckier in death than I had been. I had expected sanctuary and found that I couldn’t have fallen farther from heaven’s grace.


Our lives had been altered forever, but the way we understood each other hadn’t. Not even death could do that.


I’d lost sight of heaven, God, and everything good, but not Jordan. Some things transcended both life and death. Some things never died.


Jordan had kept my secrets and I had kept hers. In the end, it came down to just one secret between us that took her life. Now, it would take mine. I should have said something, but nothing I said or did now could bring her back or make anyone understand what she meant to me.
Are you here, Jordan? Are you with me? Tell me about heaven...


I didn’t want to die. Not really. I was just tired and didn’t know of another way to stop the pain. Doctors removed a bad appendix. Dentists pulled rotten teeth. What was I supposed to do when my very essence hurt, when the cancer I’d come to call depression made every decent memory agonizingly unbearable?


I remembered thinking how we’d talked about homecoming, choosing a college. Spring break. Prom. Saying goodbye to our classmates, teachers, and public education. The end of what we’d be able to call our adolescent years. The beginning of our adult years. In all those endings and new beginnings, death, the mother of all endings and new beginnings, never entered into the equation.


As I stood there in the breeze, in the absence of my other self, I understood there were lessons I still needed to learn. I knew this with such force, such clarity. I had a lot to learn about the afterlife, and I had to accept that my past and present would never again be the same. But, the hardest lesson of all? That there would always be people in my world who I loved beyond everything else, people I couldn’t live without, but had to let go of.
For now.





A little bit about Michelle ....


Writer of urban fantasy, the paranormal, and all things eerie and curious. Lover of scary books and funny movies, sports cars, chocolate, and changes of season. Owned by two incredible dogs and an iMac. Author, wife, sister, freelance tech writer, and IT geek.




How cool is this novel!?!? How did you like the Quotes & Snippets? Thanks Michelle for including Mom With A Kindle in your tour! And yeah, cool name, MICHELLE! :D

3 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Awesome snippets! Definitely got me reading. =)

Michelle Muto said...

Thanks, Michelle! (Yes, Michelle IS a great name :-) )

I'm so glad you like the quotes & short snippets!

And thanks for stopping by, Elizabeth!

Unknown said...

I'm currently reading this, I love it so far<3