The Darkest Path
by Jeff Hirsch
USA TODAY bestselling author Jeff Hirsch once again creates a futuristic world with stunning, dramatic realism.
A civil war rages between the Glorious Path--a militant religion based on the teachings of a former US soldier--and what's left of the US government. Fifteen-year-old Callum Roe and his younger brother, James, were captured and forced to convert six years ago. Cal has been working in the Path's dog kennels, and is very close to becoming one of the Path's deadliest secret agents. Then Cal befriends a stray dog named Bear and kills a commander who wants to train him to be a vicious attack dog. This sends Cal and Bear on the run, and sets in motion a series of incredible events that will test Cal's loyalties and end in a fierce battle that the fate of the entire country rests on.
Things you would change about your high school years if you could go back in time.
1. My mullet
2. My unshakeable belief that a college education wasn’t something you really had to put that much thought into.
3. That day I had a ponytail
4. And wore a Les Miserables t-shirt (Full disclosure, this was a lot of days in high school)
5. That time I dated that person who wasn’t very nice to me for way longer than I should have.
6. My unshakeable belief that a powder blue Chevy Malibu was what people meant when they referred to a “bitchin ride”
7. Stone washed jeans
8. My rad collection of bolo ties.
9. My unshakeable belief that if I relaxed and had a little fun the world would come crashing down around me.
10. Did I mention the mullet?
I live in upstate New York with my wife and a small passel of animals. I used to write plays (I actually have an MFA in it, which is number 8 on US News and World Report's list of the top twenty most useless masters degrees) and now I write books for teens. I've written three, The Eleventh Plague, Magisterium and The Darkest Path.
A few random facts about me:
⦁ I’m incredibly superstitious.
⦁ I believe in baking as the ultimate stress reliever. I mean, sure, I write pretty good books but have you tasted my Triple Chocolate Espresso Cookies?
⦁ I’m deeply obsessed with the work of Joss Whedon, Stephen King, Bryan K. Vaughn, Prince and Tom Waits.
⦁ I started writing because of two women—Susan Cooper, author of the Dark Is Rising Series and Denise Stewart, my 7th grade English teacher.
a Rafflecopter giveaway