Monday, October 22, 2012

[Interview] At First Touch (First Touch Series, Book 1) by Mattie Dunman




Hi Mattie and welcome to Mom With A Kindle. I'm Michelle and I hope you enjoy your visit with us. Mattie before we dive right in, would you please tell us a little about yourself. 

Sure. I'm a lifelong resident of "Wild & Wonderful" West Virginia, and have dreamed of being a writer since I first held a pen in hand.

I have pursued several useless degrees to support this dream, and presently enjoy teaching (or tormenting, as the case may be) college students the dying art of public speaking. And I spend most of my free time writing, but I also indulge in reading and traveling.

I am the proud owner of an adorably insane American Eskimo named Finn, and a tyrant cat named Bella, who take up more of my attention than they probably should.
 If you could have any superpower what would you choose?

It will probably sound weird, but I've always wished I could turn myself into rubber at will. I know, I know, not very impressive and it probably won’t help me save the world, but I’m the world’s biggest klutz and I've fallen down more stairs than I can count. I think it would be great to just bounce when I hit the ground instead of landing flat on my face the way I usually do.

   Tell us your most rewarding experience since being published.

Without a doubt, it’s seeing the reviews. I've been writing for as long as I could read, but it’s been a rare occasion that someone other than my family and friends has ever commented on my work. To see that At First Touch is out there, knowing people are reading it and enjoying it, is absolutely transformative. I’m completely addicted!

      Please tell us in one sentence only, why we should read your book.

At First Touch tells the story of a strong, independent young woman with a unique paranormal ability who is thrust into a hidden world of danger and suspense, even as she confronts the unexpected joy and pain of first love.

    Favorite food?

It depends on my mood and the season, but generally I waver between spaghetti and meatballs or my mom’s cream of crab soup, which is better than any restaurant version I’ve ever had. The soup is best in cold weather, but nothing tops spaghetti for comfort food.

     What book are you reading now?

I read a lot, usually two to three books a week (more when I’m on vacation), so it’s hard to answer that, but I’ve just finished Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness and really enjoyed it. I love all things paranormal and anything to do with history, so that book really hit the spot.

   What’s your favorite season/weather?

Autumn. I’ve lived in West Virginia all my life and grown up anticipating the changing leaves every year. The weather is perfect for me too; I hate being hot, so the sixty-five degree days and overcast skies draw me outside way more than a sunny summer day. Some of my best memories surround the fall season as well, so October is pretty much my favorite month.

    What was your favorite children's book?

Gina Farina and the Prince of Mintz by Nancy Patz. It’s a story about a baker’s daughter who joins a traveling troupe of actors to find adventure only to have a prince beg her to stay and make pies for him. What I loved about this book was that Gina doesn't give up her dream, but keeps on traveling the world, even as she manages to make everyone around her happy. Not a bad lesson for a kid with more daydreams than she could write down.

   Beach or Pool?

Beach, absolutely. Although I don’t really do much when I’m there apart from read and guzzle fruity drinks with little umbrellas.

    What is one book everyone should read?

Man, this is a tough one. There are a vast number of phenomenal, life-changing books out there, and I can think of so many that have come along at just the right moment for me. I think one of the most influential books I’ve ever read, however, was Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Although it means something different for everyone who reads it, I picked it up during a difficult time in high school and it really helped me to recognize my own self-worth and stop questioning my dreams and goals. It’s a controversial read these days, but there is an underlying message of strength of character and determination from which I think so many could benefit.

 Any other books in the works? Goals for future projects?

I am one of those insane people who works on multiple projects at any given time, so there’s always something brewing on my laptop. At the moment, I’m working on the sequel to At First Touch, and I hope to publish it by this spring. I've also just recently completed work on another YA Paranormal about a girl who cannot be lied to, and I’m looking into publishing it as well. There are several other projects on the back burner, but most of my focus is on getting the word out about At First Touch and working on completing the trilogy. 


WOW!! Thanks so much Mattie for being with us today and I am sure the At First Touch series is going to be a big hit. :D

To find out more answers to your questions visit Mattie's website. Or follow her on Goodreads.


At First Touch
First Touch Series, book 1
by Mattie Dunman
 Cover Artist: Deirdre Robertson

Book Description:

Liz Hannigan has been on the run since she was twelve years old. Her mother is dead. Her father has lost his job. And thanks to an experimental procedure, Liz is now able to ‘download’ the contents of every brain around her with a simple touch. Forced to hide from both the federal government and a darkling group of morally deficient scientists known as the Coalition determined to exploit her abilities, she moves with her father to the bucolic coal town of Pound, West Virginia.But the hunt for Liz and her abilities hasn’t ended, and her hopes for peace are shattered when she inadvertently downloads the enigmatic Carey Drake, whose unusual good looks and charm conceal a secret as shocking as her own. Stunned by the knowledge that she has found someone else who has extraordinary abilities, Liz finds herself drawn to Carey, discovering a deep attraction, and dares to hope for the first time she might find love.

But when an agent of the Coalition begins stalking her, Liz must find a way to work with the government agency she most mistrusts as she strives to build a longed-for normal life and take down the agent who has tracked her down. Caught up in a struggle to save herself and those she loves, the girl who sees all is blind to true danger until it is too late.
Photobucket


To purchase At First Touch




0 comments: