Friday, October 11, 2013

Virtual Book Tour [Excerpt] Taken By Surprise by Jessica Frances





Taken By Surprise
by Jessica Frances
New Adult Paranormal Romance
Date Published: 9/5/2013

Five strangers scattered across America have three things in common with each other.

One: They each have special abilities that shouldn’t be possible.

Two: They’ve all just had people try to kill them.

Three: They’ve all just been kidnapped and taken away from their home, families and friends.

Their lives will never be the same as they’re taken to a government facility and told that their abilities mean that they must train to become soldiers and fight. But are they being told the truth? Or is something more sinister going on? They must learn to trust each other and decide if they should stay on this path or run away from it. Either way there is no going back.


**Excerpt**
“How can you know that?”
“I just do. You will, too, if you dream of the future. You’ll see us on a beach, drinking something with a little umbrella in it.”
“I doubt that.”
“Prove me wrong and dream of our actual future then.”
I sigh. “I can’t control it like that.”
“Then we’ll just have to go with my vision.”
I roll my eyes at him. He moves to sit up properly and I feel the quilt move with him.
“Hey, didn’t I win a bet that meant I controlled this quilt for a whole night?”
“Yes, and you graciously allowed me to have some last night, thank you for that.”
“Actually, I was unconscious for most of the night, so I don’t think that should count.”
“You should have read the fine print. Last night was the only night included in the bet.”
I lean forward, resting on my knees and look at his jaw in the light. There is a bruise forming and it looks quite dark and sore.
“Does it hurt?” I reach out to touch the spot, but stop myself before I can reach it. I’ve never hit a person before and I hate that Charlie wears a bruise from the impact.
“It’s fine.” He shrugs like it’s no big deal.
“I really didn’t mean to hurt you yesterday, it was a complete fluke.”
“I know. Next time I won’t make it so easy for you to get me.” He smiles at me.
“I caught you off guard which is the reason I was able to hit you,” I reason.
“I made you think that. In reality, I saw your punch coming and felt bad for you.” He winks at me and I know he’s trying to stir me up.
“Who knows, maybe I’ll be able to give you a matching bruise on the other side of your chin tomorrow.” I smile back at him cockily.
“You mean, if I allow you the chance to get near enough to me to do it.” He smirks at me.
“Tough talk for someone who has now lost to two women so far. Maybe Martha can beat you next time?”
Instead of replying to that like I expect, he reaches out with both hands and grabs my shoulders. Moments later, I’m flat on my back and he is looming over me.
“Think you can beat me now?”



Born and raised in South Australia, Jessica spends her days working in a bakery, afternoons catching up on lost sleep, and nights reading and writing. Writing has always been a passion of hers, however it wasn’t until Zoe appeared into her head and wouldn’t leave that she finally was able to put a story down and finish it. After writing three books, she is wondering if she should start charging Zoe and her friends rent.


0 comments: