Thursday, November 7, 2013

[REVIEW] Love in the Time of the Dead by Tera Shanley




Love in the Time of the Dead
by Tera Shanley 

Laney Landry has been fighting Deads alongside her brother and friends for three years. But she has a secret. She's immune to Dead bites and has to find the right people to trust with the information. Her team rallies around her to find a doctor who can extract a vaccine from Laney which could fight the virus that ended the world.

Sean Daniels leads a colony that provides her team with much needed shelter and supplies. He is obviously interested in Laney. The question is whether he's only intrigued by her as a source for the possible vaccine, or for something more. Tests for the cure might push her body beyond what it can endure, and just as she faces a ghost from her past, her longtime teammate Derek Mitchell hints at an interest in more than just her Dead slaying abilities.

Two honorable and alluring men - one colossal decision to make. Despite historically bad taste in men, can she rise above the chaos of the apocalypse and choose the one who deserves her heart? The right choice could mean the difference between surviving...and living.





I keep thinking that maybe one day aspiring and published authors alike will run out of ideas on the zombie topic. There’s romance, action, and adventure like no other between the pages of some of my favorite zombie novels. There are some authors in my favorite genre, zombie, dystopian/post-apocalyptic, who infuse it with unbelievable strong characters,  especially female ones and they are my absolute favorites. Tera Shanley did this and much much  more!

I loved the never ending action and fights with the zombies. I found myself during the fight scenes holding my breath and having to tell myself to breath. They are very intense and I didn’t want to put the book down and when I turned the last page I was looking for more.(Instead of BRAINS BRAINS I was saying MORE MORE!  LOL!)  Tera Shanley's writing was very descriptive and made me feel like I was fighting zombies right along with Laney.

 Laney and her brother plus 2 of his friends have been fighting off zombies for about 3 years. A couple of things have kept them alive; first Laney can smell the dead WAY before they can see them. Next Laney is immune to zombie bites. They are traveling to find a colony that has a doctor that can test Laney to see if she’s the cure for this now crazy world.  

There was an awesome love triangle between Laney, Mitchell, and Sean. I found myself pulling for both guys at different times in the book. I love a romance where I have NO IDEA who the girl will end up with, and I love Laney who was a heroine, who's a kick butt zombie fighter, but she's also a vulnerable girl with real everyday emotions. 

This book was heartbreaking, gory, exciting and action-packed. Not many books that I have read  have sucked me into it from the beginning. That’s what I really loved about it. I am definitely awaiting the sequel, however inpatient that might be. 


5 HOOTS for Love in the Time of the Dead




3 comments:

Unknown said...

This book sounds like the kind of story that keeps you on the edge of your seat - that you can't put down until the last word is read. Thanks for the review. I'll have to check out the series.

Michelle @ Mom With A Kindle said...

It's awesome. You will love it. :)

Tera Shanley - Writer said...

Thanks so much for reviewing, Michelle!! :D